Report from ACERRA WtE Technical Visit in Naples, Italy
Dr. Kalogirou's technical report on the recently operated WtE Acerra Plant in Naples.
Dr. Efstratios Kalogirou
from the Earth Engineering Center, Columbia University
and the President of SYNERGIA (WtERT Greece)
participated in the ISWA Working Group Energy Recovery, held between 25&26 Febrary 2010 in Naples, Italy. Also a technical visit took place in the new operated WTE Plant ACERRA , which supply electricity to around 230,000 families covering an area of only 65 thousand square meters.
Campania has an MSW daily production of 7033 tpd (approximately 2,6 million tpa). Due to older MSW treatment problems occured in Naples in the past, there are around 7 million tpa MSW in bales in surrounding area. The constructor of WtE in Acerra, is FISCIA BABCOCK Environment, operator the Parte Nope (subsidiary of Ambienete Gruppo A2A which also operates the well Known Brescia WtE Plant. The operation of Acerra WtE plant started recently (in 14/01/2010).
In Acerra WtE plant , MSW is feeding after light pretreatment
Technical Details of Acerra WtE Plant :
- 3 boilers, capacity 81 tph (648.000 tpa)
- 380 tph.of steam at a temperature of 500 oC and pressure of 90 bar.
- 107,8 MWe gross electrical power and 91,8 MWe net
- Temperature of the flue gases is around 1040 oC
- Moving Grates, water-cooled, integrated with boiler
- White wash injection system
- Semidry absorption reactor to eliminate acidic gases
- Powder activated carbon injection system
- Filter sleeve to remove light ash and micro-pollutants
- Mixed reagent injection system (mix Ca(OH)2 / activated carbon)
- DeNOx selective catalytic reactor (SCR) to remove nitrogen oxides
- Extractor fan
- Emissions monitoring system for chimney stack
- The bottom ash (20% in total) is fully recovered and used in as aggregate for asphalt. The fly ash (5% in total) is stabilized and exported to salt mines in Germany.
- Although it produces only electrical power, R1 is high due to the excellent thermodynamic characteristics of the produced steam.
- Dioxin and furan emissions at 0,025ng/Nm3, NOx at 85mg/Nm3
- 230 thousand families will be supplied with electricity for the WtE plant
- Gate fee is around 50 €/ton and the electricity sale price is 80€/MWh. The gate fee does not include the cost for the pre-treatment of the MSW (MBT).
- There is a little high maintenance cost because of increased corrosion due to high temperatures.
- Investment cost was 355,000,000 €. A second plant with smaller capacity is scheduled also for Naples.
Waste-to-Energy (WtE) facility
Renergia, a brand new Waste-to-Energy (WtE) facility opened in Canton Lucerne, shows that Waste-to-Energy can provide reliable heat for industries.
Category: Incineration / Waste-to-Energy plant
Executing firm: Renergia Zentralschweiz AG
MBT Ljubljana, Slovenia
In Slovenia arises one of the largest and most modern waste treatment plants in Europe.
Category: Recycling / MBT
Executing firm: STRABAG AG
Flue Gas Cleaning
The final unit of the incineration plant is one of the most important parts as it has the objective of cleaning the air pollutants produced.
Executing firm: ete.a - Ingenieurgesellschaft für Energie– und Umweltengineering & Beratung mbH
Batch Dry Fermentation
The biogas produced from the waste can be converted in a CHP to electrical and thermal energy or fed as processed bio-methane into the natural gas grid or used as fuel (CNG).
Category: Recycling / Fermentation
Executing firm: BEKON Energy Technologies Co. & KG
MBT Warsaw, Poland
The Bio-Dry™ system is a static, aerated and flexibly enclosed reactor for the biological drying of various solid waste matters containing some biodegradable contents.
Category: Recycling / MBT
Executing firm: Convaero GmbH